Ravenswood City School District



Do I need to let the school know if my child has been away?
Yes– Parents must let the school know the reason for the absence, if not beforehand, then within two days of their child’s return to school.
Can I take my child out of school for family or social occasions?
No– You should arrange leisure activities, visits to family and friends and shopping trips outside of school hours.

Does the occasional day away from school really affect my child’s education?
Yes– Research shows that higher student attendance is associated, on average, with higher student achievement.

What should I do if my child refuses to go to school?
Contact the school as soon as possible for advice and support.
"The California Legislature defined a truant in very precise language. In summary, it states that a student missing more than 30 minutes of instruction without an excuse three times during the school year must be classified as a truant and reported to the proper school authority" (www.cde.ca.gov).

Education Code Section #48200 states that you are obligated to send your children, to school, on-time everyday. The law further requires that after a student has been reported as a truant three or more times in one school year and after an appropriate school employee has made a conscientious effort to hold at least one meeting with the parent and the student, the student is deemed a habitual truant. A child who is deemed habitually truant will be referred to the School Attendance Review Board (SARB) for appropriate action.  Following the requirements of the law, you must be advised of the consequences should this problem go uncorrected.

The final result may be a referral or complaint for legal action through the (CPS) Child Protective Services of the Social Services Department, the Probation Department, or the District Attorney’s Office.  Welfare or Probation referrals may result in Juvenile court action.  A parent who fails to meet their obligation may be guilty of an infraction and subject to prosecution.  Complaints filed with the District Attorney may go to court and result in fines and court ordered parent education programs.  If a parent is receiving government financial assistance, there could be sanctions against them and their financial aid could be decreased.

Independent Study

Independent Studytitle

If your child will be out of school for more than five days but no more than ten, you can request to be placed on an Independent Study Program. Under this program, your student will be given homework to make up for the work missed during the days of absence. Work packets must completed and turned in to teacher upon student's return.
Please notify the school office you are interested in this program at least two weeks before the desired start date. The school administrator must approve the request and the Independent Study Form must be filled out. Forms are available at each school site.
Student Success Team

Student Success Teamtitle

Can I refer my child for an SST?
The SST process can be initiated by the classroom teacher or any other staff member who works with the student. Before a referral is made, a level one meeting(refer to form S-1) should take place prior to the referral. A level 1 meeting is held at the school site with the classroom teacher and the parent, other staff members may join.

Does the SST process guarantee that my student will qualify for Special Education services?
No, however the SST process should be utilized before a referral is made for a complete Special Education evaluation. A direct referral can be made from any staff member, however extensive documentation must accompany that direct referral.
Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS)title

A multi-tiered system of supports (MTSS) is a comprehensive, evidence-based, and systemic framework for teaching and learning that unifies general and special education in an intentional, ongoing collaboration. It is an integrated, comprehensive framework that aligns academic, behavioral, and social-emotional learning in a fully integrated system of support to meet the needs of all students.

Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) is based on a problem-solving model and targets prevention of inappropriate behavior through teaching and reinforcing appropriate behaviors (OSEP Technical Assistance Center on Positive Behavioral Interventions & Supports, 2007). PBIS is a process that is consistent with the core principles of MTSS. It is an approach that focuses on the emotional and behavioral learning of students, which leads to an increase in engagement and a decrease in problematic behavior over time (California Department of Education, 2017). PBIS offers a variety of interventions that are methodically applied to students based on their demonstrated level of need, and addresses environmental factors as they apply to development and improvement of behavior problems.
Both MTSS and PBIS are rooted in differentiated instruction. Each approach defines critical factors and components to be in place at the universal (Tier 1), targeted group (Tier 2), and individual (Tier 3) levels. PBIS is functional at all Tier levels across the district, and its effectiveness is measured periodically by conducting PBIS screenings at each school site, by utilizing tools such as Tiered Fidelity Inventory (TFI) and Team Implementation Checklist (TIC). PBIS assessments provide a reliable measure of the extent to which school employees are implementing the core features of school-wide PBIS across the tiers and during all programming hours.”


What grades require Hearing, Vision and Scoliosis Screening?
According to the State of California Hearing and Vision tests are performed when students attend Kindergarten, 2nd, 5th  and 8th  grades. Scoliosis screening is performed on 7th grade girls and 8th grade boys.
Is it mandatory to do Physical Exam for my child?
Yes,State of California requires students to have Physical Exam completed when they enter 1st Grade.
Does my child require to have Dental Exam before entering kindergarten?
No, but it is recommended to have dental exams annually.
Student Services Team

Student Services Team

Cindy Chin
Director of Student Services
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60168 

Jorge Prado
Administrative Secretary
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60152
Adriana Granados
District Registrar
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60164

Maria Ochoa
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60105

Valeria Anawalt
District Nurse
Quilla Kinder
District Nurse
Maria Reyes
Health Aide
(650) 329-6550
Olga Perez
High School Transition Coordinator
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60167
Courtney Avilla
Academic Counselor
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60167
Aida Campara
PBIS Coordinator
(650) 329-2800 ext. 60170